Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Layout lighting: Day and Night

My layout room has a solid poured concrete ceiling, so drilling holes for all my lights would have been quite a chore. To minimize drilling, I fixed 7 foot long 1 x 2's with three screws to the ceiling. Attaching the lights to these went very easy.


The light supports also serve as a base for attaching the valance all around the layout.



Where the valance sheets meet I screwed brackets to the 1x2's to give it more strength.


The lights are all turned on and off with the main light switch of the room.
Operation on the Surf Line was Passenger trains by day and Freight trains during the night. To achieve a realistic operating feeling I also installed blue rope lights next to the normal layout lighting. 


This is the same view as above with the blue lights on. These are not the Northern Lights but obviously my camera caught the red color that comes from the blue light rope. This is not so obvious in reality.




The night lighting was not planned in the beginning, but now I absolutely need to install interior lights in all of my buildings, streetlights and everywhere lights are to be found at night. Not to forget the lighted passenger cars.


No comments:

Post a Comment