Monday, July 7, 2014

The Barn (continued)


As I said in my previous blog entry, this would be a simple project based on the only straight-on photograph and an areal view that I have.


Using my Micro-Mark magnetic fixture I assembled the 4 wall sections, keeping them straight and square with the magnets until the white glue had set.


Then I glued the same corrugated carton pieces to the walls and the roof like the ones I used on my packing house. This was an easy straight forward process.


I wanted to show the barn doors open, so I cut 2 door panes from Northeastern scribed siding. Using single boards from the siding I fashioned the Z-bracing. On the outside of the doors I glued corrugated carton. To show the doors open I contemplated over a way how to do it without glueing the doors directly to the frame. I came up with the idea to drill a small hole at the top and bottom of each door and to insert a short piece of brass wire to serve as door hinge. This gave me the freedom to bend the doors open randomly. If I don't like the way they are opened I can still make some changes.
   

The photo above shows the opened doors. In the close-up I must admit that I don't really like my very simplistic way to show the hay loft doors. I probably cut them out and make new ones. :)


Test-fitting the barn on the layout


What looks like a major rain shower is actually the wet compound. I still need to build the corral and to add some more ground cover.


The barn completes the packing house scene on the southern part of San Juan Capistrano.

1 comment: