Over last weekend I found some time to work on my orchard on the layout.
A first mock-up with Orange tree, windmill, smudge oil tank, standpipe and weirs is shown above.
After I routed the furrows, I painted the base a brown color and sifted fine earth (from the backyard) into the wet paint.
The available orange trees don't look like the real thing, so some upgrading was necessary. I used ready made trees from Woodland Scenics and the Orange Trees from Life Like, although these have oranges added, they look like a wire brush, so I sprayed the trees with spray adhesive (3M or similar), waited until the glue was tacky and then rolled them into a mix of medium and dark ground cover.
In the back are the ready made trees from Woodland Scenics and in the foreground the upgraded Life Like trees with foliage and oranges added.
A first batch of some 20+ trees before I ran out of adhesive and foliage.
To attach the oranges I used a strong hairspray (the cheapest I could find, not my wife's, though) and sprinkled the Woodland Scenics oranges all around.
I sat the finished trees aside to dry.
Next weekend I will make the rest of the orange trees (about 50+ needed) and plant them. Some ballasting of the tracks and weeds along the orchard will be added also.
So as always, stay tuned for updates.