Friday, March 7, 2014

San Juan Capistrano (The Prototype)

Before I start with my rendition of Capistrano on my home layout I want to show you some pictures of the prototype to set the scene


The city of San Juan Capistrano is the home of the 7th Mission out of 21 Missions built by Franciscan Missionaries in California. It was founded by Padre Junipero Serra on November 1st, 1776. It is also called the Jewel of the Missions.

The mission style Santa Fe depot replaced a nordic style wood frame depot in 1894. It was partly built with bricks and tiles from the ruined nearby mission. With the decline of passenger travel in the 1950's, the depot was boarded up from 1966 to 1974. Then came the restaurant period. Many came and went, and it wasn't until the present operators moved their restaurant Sarducci's to the Depot that a restaurant at this location became successful. I've already had a number of excellent meals there. (Historical data from the SJC Historical Society and the City of SJC homepage) http://www.sjchistoricalsociety.com/ and www.sanjuancapistrano.org/



The view above is from the 1940's. The bell tower was totally overgrown with weed




This view shows the depot in shining white paint in the year I was born. (Chuck Clope photo)






















Looking south towards San Diego



The freight house as it looked in 1962. (Chuck Clope photo)



Today the freight house is part of the restaurant and connected to the depot building using vintage freight cars



North of the depot there is still the old maintenance of way building, although opposite of the original location


I've built the depot as it looked in the 1960's with brilliant white paint, but with the original lettering from 1895. OK I still need to weather it a bit.


I used the Classic Miniature kit instructions to make a new design of the parts and got them laser-cut.



The freight house is built using drawings from an article published by the Santa Fe Modelers Society.


I've scratchbuilt the freight house using Northeastern or Midwest wood sheets and covered the walls with putty to represent a stucco finish.


The stone foundation is from Faller embossed cardboard




The first test San Diegan comes to a stop in Capistrano on its way to Los Angeles


And again on its way back to San Diego.

I will describe the construction of the different buildings more in detail in my next posts about the building of my Capistrano in HO.

No comments:

Post a Comment