Thursday, July 17, 2014

San Diego Depot (Mock-up)

With Capistrano well under way, I turned to another big work area - San Diego. While I was drawing the parts for the new San Juan Capistrano depot, I also finished a rough drawing for my rendition of the Santa Fe depot in San Diego. I realized that I would not have enough space to put the full size of it on the layout.


After measuring the available space I decided that what is pictured on the photograph above, would perfectly fit. On the original there is almost the same size with another 11 arches to the left.


From measurements on the pictures I took during my last vacation in San Diego, I came up with about 1.25 metres (approx. 50") for the model. I got the wall segments laser-cut and they were basically just a copy/paste of the master and joined with tabs and slots.


The main wall will be flush against the backdrop with only the arched collonade and one tower modeled in 3D. Because I laid the track first I have to make some compromises with the depot now.
I still have to make some minor adjustments to the collonade and trying to get additional information for modeling the tower.

As always .... to be continued.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Talk about a signature scene! And I spy your Model Railroader article's subject in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Colin, with so many Navy sites on the Surf Line, I'll need a bunch on my layout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alain, are you modeling the depot tracks with or without the small coach yard directly across from the depot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan,
    i'm searching for drawings of the depot. I want to build in scale n. Can you help me ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alain,
    Recently I Googled “architecture” and “Southwest US”. Somehow I was sidetracked to your blog. I found your site very interesting and eventually viewed most of your posts. Your research is impressive and the quality of your craftsmanship is outstanding.

    It turns out we have a few things in common: model railroading, favoring ATSF (In 1954 I travelled on a Warbonnet to California and lived most my life in Orange County although I now live in Spain.). Had brief connections to both an orange packing plant and a historical location in Capistrano. I also rode the line from LA to San Diego.

    The unexpected detour to viewing your blog ended up both enjoyable and informative.

    Howdy Doody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for your nice comments. in fact I live in Germany and am a Santa Fe Fan for almost all of my life. I visited Southern Califonia on numerous vacation trips and try to recreate the signature towns on my layout as accurate as possible.

      Delete
  6. Just found your site and made a reference to it in this discussion I began on my desire to get a model of the San Diego Santa Fe station. But I have chosen a model that is not total prototypical, but very nice rendition for modeling purposes.

    http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/31423

    How easy might this be done with your laser processes? i know almost nothing about them.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Brian,

    I made this lasercut sides from measurements I've made. The arches were quite simple. It is mostly a matter of getting one right and then copy/paste. The more difficult part is the towers, which have many ornaments. Unfortunately I don't have much space between the tracks and the backdrop, so I will need to make it very flat against the backdrop. Lasercutting is an easy way to get structures with repetitive features done. If you're good in CAD or CorelDraw you can do most of the designs for lasercutting or routing.

    ReplyDelete